Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Movie the Gospel of John

Recently I saw the DVD of “The Gospel of John” listed on the Blockbuster movies, so I rented it to check it out for myself. I am very impressed! I highly recommend this inspiring and well-done movie. http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/DisplayMovieSpecialOffers.action?channel=Movies&subChannel=&movieID=138341&displayBoxArt=true The website shows that there are three disks, but the whole book is on disk one, so I don’t know what the other two contain.

Usually I am very leery of any actor who plays Jesus and not comfortable with the portrayal. What a role for an actor and who could ever measure up? The man who plays Jesus in this movie does an excellent job, because he is not some gaunt mystic with vacant eyes – he is a real person.

The narrator uses actual verses and brings to life in a real way the wedding at Cana where he turns water into wine. The miracle is done so beautifully and I was extremely blessed to experience the moment.

Even the cleansing of the temple, which I have struggled with personally over the years, was well done and I could see the passion of Jesus, yet see the control he had when he explained to the Pharisees why he did this. I continue to believe this was part of God’s plan to bring Jesus before the Pharisees in preparation for his crucifixion. It was confirmed in Jesus response to the Pharisees when they asked for a miracle, Jesus said he would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, which is a prophecy of his resurrection.

Wow! I keep stopping the movie to comment. The woman at the well in Samaria is wonderfully well done and Jesus standing in the temple and teaching the Pharisees about the fulfillment of Moses prophecy standing right before them. You have a real sense of how the words occurred and the power of the words at that moment. I am impressed!

You will love to see the paralyzed man pick up his matt to walk, the adulteress forgiven and the blind man healed. Each miracle comes to life and testified of his Godliness. I had to chuckle that Jesus kept healing on the Sabbath, but I also understand that God has a master plan for the true Lamb of God.

The movie does get very long, because Jesus does say all the words at the last supper, which are a blessing to hear. The movie is not at graphic as The Passion of Christ by Mel Gibson thankfully, so if you want to be tortured and see the brutality of Roman crucifixion you will have to see that movie, which does not portray Jesus as personable person as this movie.

Keep in Touch,

John & Sue


No comments: